Following orthopaedic or spinal surgery, physiotherapy benefits cats and dogs in the following ways:
- Pain control (massage, Tellington Ttouch, electrotherapies, checking your pet’s painkiller regime and communicating with your primary care vet if this needs adjusting).
- Improved quality of movement during the recovery period. This reduces subsequent over-loading and stiffness in other parts of the body.
- Helping get any “lifestyle adjustments” just right during recovery, e.g. sling-walking, lead-walking, how to lift your pet safely, outdoor access and/or crate-restriction if needed.
- Improved circulation and tissue healing.
- Safe, gradual strengthening of the affected body part from day one post-op right up until return to full exercise.